DPRK Foreign Minister holds press conference
Updated : Friday, March 01, 2019 10:07 AM (GMT+0700)

Foreign minister of theDemocratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) Ri Yong Ho called an impromptupress conference on February 28 night in Hanoi following the DPRK-USA summit.

 
The press conference of DPRK Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho in Hanoi on February 28 night
- Photo: VNA

Ri said during the two-day summit, the two countries’ leadershad held serious discussions.

The DPRK foreign minister said the DPRK had offered“realistic proposals” but the US wanted more, and the two sides couldn’treconcile their differences leading to what the US President called a “walkaway” earlier in his press conference in Hanoi.

According to Ri, DPRK had attempted to get the US to liftfive sanction articles adopted in 2016 and 2017 under 11 United NationsSecurity Council resolutions, which he said “hampered the civilian economy andthe livelihoods of our people” in exchange for DPRK’s “completely and permanentdismantling all nuclear material production facilities in the Yongbyon area,including plutonium and uranium” under the supervision of experts from bothcountries.

He emphasised that the DPRK did not seek a complete removalof all sanctions, but only partial relief.

The diplomat said it was the biggest measure it could take atpresent given “the current level of confidence between the DPRK and the US.”

During the meeting, the DPRK pledged a complete halt ofnuclear and missile testing, including rocket launches, to ease the concerns ofthe US, according to Ri.

Ri said that if the two sides could go through this “level oftrust-building regime”, then “we would be able to accelerate the process ofdenuclearisation”.

However, he said the US side was insistent on DPRK moving“one more step” besides the shutting down of the Yongbyon plant, the country’smain nuclear facility.

“It became crystal clear that the US was not ready to gothrough with this proposal”, the DPRK top diplomat said.

The DPRK official said it would be difficult to come up witha better proposal than the one his country was putting on the table.

“Our principle stands and remains invariable and our proposalwill never change in the future even if the US wants further talks”, he said.

Source: VNA

Write your comment here
Name:
Email:
Title:
Comment:
© PhuYen Newspaper- Editorial Board: 62 Le Duan, Tuy Hoa City, Phu Yen Province
Tel: (84-057).2211110 - (84-057).3842488, Fax: (84-057).3841275
Email: tsbpy@dng.vnn.vn
Designed by nTek